At the Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, we are committed to serving the global society through our education and research programs dedicated to sustainable provision of food and ecosystem services. As one of Asia’s leading agricultural schools, we take pride in the quality of our experienced and internationally recognized staff, who engage in innovative teaching as well as groundbreaking research.
Inaugurated in the academic year 2010/2011, International Program in Agricultural Development Studies (IPADS) is the School’s premier English-language program at Master’s and PhD level. Issue-oriented rather than methodology-oriented, this exciting international program offers its candidates the opportunity to develop the requisite expertise across discipline and country boundaries to tackle agricultural and environmental problems in developing countries around the world. Graduates will be well-equipped to make a difference in the modern, globalized industry of agriculture.
We are practical, relevant and challenging.
To be admitted into IPADS, applicants must:
- hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognized institution (to enter MSc)
- hold a Master’s degree or equivalent from a recognized institution (to enter PhD)
- have a very high level of English proficiency, as demonstrated by their TOEFL or IELTS score.
While IPADS does not publish the official cut-off scores for English proficiency tests, we especially welcome applicants who meet the following criteria: TOEFL – 98 and above, IELTS – 7.0 and above. Exemptions from submitting the English test scores are given to applicants from a very limited number of countries only. The IAPDS Office reserves the right to request submission of a proof of English proficiency from all applicants, regardless of their nationalities and educational background.
- possess an excellent academic record and sound plan for their Master’s/PhD research
- have secured enough fund to support themselves and families for the duration of their stay (e.g. scholarships) be in good health
IPADS is open to applicants from all countries and regions. This includes Japanese citizens and permanent residents, although they might be excluded from selection for some scholarships due to their eligibility rules.
More information at: http://ipads.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp/